I like the Food Network. I often get inspired by what those chefs are cooking, and continue to be amazed by how bad some people are at cooking. This season’s “Worst Cooks in America” introduced me to Chicken Scarpiello. I mostly followed the recipe on this and it was really good. It definitely hit the make again list, and the flavor to spice was perfectly balanced.
2-3 strips thick cut bacon
2-3 lbs chicken breasts
3 garlic cloves
3/4 cup wine (I used leftover Mead – which carmelized the onions perfectly)
1 cup quartered cherry peppers (pepperadews)
1/2 cup hot pepper juice from the jar
1 cup chicken stock (1 used 1/2 cup pan drippings plus 1/2 cup water)
Adobo, Pepper & Oregano to taste
1. Chop bacon in to lardons (little pieces) and cook in large frying pan
2. After about 10 mins, bacon should be crispy. Remove from pan
3. Season chicken with Adobo and pepper
4. Brown chicken breasts on both sides in bacon fat (~5 mins/side)
5. Remove chicken from pan
6. Chop onion and garlic and saute in pan
7. Add wine to deglaze pan. Reduce by half.
8. Add chicken, bacon, cherry peppers, cherry pepper juice, stock and oregano to pot
9. Bring to boil
10. Put in preheated 300 degree oven for 40 minutes (You could simmer on stove for 15 mins per pound or put in oven for 15 mins per pound at 350 degrees. This allowed me to run out on an errand while it was cooking).
Look how rich and delicious that sauce looks! I saved that too.