After about 6 months of being without TV I was sitting around watching the Food Network. My husband and I got caught up in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. One of the featured recipes was for Cuban ropa vieja – translated to old clothes. It is a tomato, onions and peppers based slow cooked shredded beef recipe. It looked delicious. I was a little bored with what I had been cooking lately and bought a skirt steak for either carne Asada or ropa Vieja.
I found a lot of different recipes for crockpot ropa Vieja, with varying ingredients. I ended up gravitating to this one at Paleomg because I had all the ingredients in the house.
~2 lb skirt steak
1 red peppers cut into strips
1 medium onion sliced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
3 tbl capers
3-4 cloves garlic
Cumin, thyme, oregano and adobo to season
1. Slice peppers and onions and layer in bottom of crockpot
2. Season steak liberally on both sides
3. Lay steak on top of vegetables
4. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and capers
5. Cook on low for 8-9 hours
6. Use two forks to shred beef
7. Eat alone or serve over rice
This was really good. My kids liked it, I liked it and my husband ate two plates of it without rice or anything other accoutrements. It was so good that I totally forgot to take a picture of it.