Oatmeal Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins
I have been a little bit bored of my breakfast options, so I have started doing a little bit of baking. I tend to like things that are less sweet, but are still flavorful. While I don’t like to eat oatmeal for breakfast, I will bake it into cookies or muffins. I also love cinnamon, so decided that oatmeal and cinnamon would be the basis for my muffins. I found this oatmeal-cinnamon muffin recipe and decided that it would be a good place to start. I read through the comments and made some adjustments based on the feedback. I love the taste of nutmeg and cloves in combination with cinnamon so I added some of those spices as well.
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup milk
2 eggs, lightly meaten
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl, combine oats and milk; let stand 5 minutes
3. Stir in eggs and applesauce
4. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda
5. Stir into oatmeal mixture just until moistened
6. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until muffins test done
8. Cool in pan 10 minutes before moving to wire rack
The batter tasted fantastic and seemed to have the perfect consistency. I took the comments to heart about the muffins sticking, combined with what I know about baking and reduced the temperature from 400 to 350 degrees. Given the reduction in temperature, I baked the first batch for about 30 minutes. They came out golden brown, but stuck to the paper wrappers. I then reduced the cooking time to 20 minutes and they were also golden brown but did not stick to the paper wrappers. All that said, even with the addition of applesauce, nutmeg and cloves, I thought these muffins were a little bland. My two daughters agreed with me.
I have some thoughts on how to kick up the flavor a notch or two so I’m definitely going to try that and I’ll post the results.